Google+ My Beauty Hive! : Review: Essence Cosmetics Cherry Blossom Girl Collection

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Review: Essence Cosmetics Cherry Blossom Girl Collection

Hey everyone!

Today I'm going to be talking about the Essence Cosmetics "Cherry Blossom Girl" Limited Edition Collection. This has been available in Europe and the UK for awhile now but just recently showed up in drugstores across Canada (so far, I have only seen Essence at my Shoppers Drug Mart).

The collection is limited edition and consists of 2 "lipstick pencils", 2 eyeliner pens, an eyeshadow quad, a two-toned blush, a body powder, a highlight pen, 4 nail polishes and a set of paper eyelashes.

From the whole line, I only picked up three items. The display in my drugstore was so tiny that some items were either missing or had been tampered with already. I also picked up some other Essence items (you can see them in the picture) which will be in an upcoming drugstore haul I'll be filming for my YouTube channel.



I picked up "Asian Sensation" which is a two-toned pale peach & apricot coloured blush with a pretty cherry blossom image stamped onto it. I also picked up one of the "lipstick pencils" in the shade "It's Peach Not Cherry" which appears to be a bright & fun peachy/orange toned jumbo lip pencil. The last thing I picked up was their highlight wand in "Konnichiwa Girls" a very light & sheer formula with a pearly kind of finish.

I also picked up their Cover Stick concealer and Longwear eye liner in Tu Tu Turquoise. Both of these will be featured in an upcoming drugstore haul over on my YouTube channel.

Swatches of "Asian Sensation" blush:

Left to right: Darker apricot shade, lighter peachy shade & blended together.
Close-up swatch of both shades blended together.

 "Asian Sensation" is a dual toned blush with a darker apricot shade and a much lighter peach shade. They can be used several different ways which is a nice option. The two shades can be blended and worn together or the lighter shade can double as a highlight while using the darker apricot as the blush. (my camera was acting funny so these shots aren't 100% accurate but fairly close)

When I swatched this with my finger there was almost no colour payoff and I was initially disappointed. Then I decided to try it on my cheek with an actual blush brush and was surprised that it showed up on me! I'm really happy with this blush duo and think it will be perfect for this spring!
 
Swatches of "Konnichiwa Girls" highlight pen:

Product, applicator tip & heavy swatch.

Closer-up view of swatches.
I love this highlight pen! It's a very fine, luminous, shimmery finish with a slightly pinkish tone but overall comes across as a typical ivory pearl highlight shade. I love the applicator which twists from the bottom and the product comes out through the brush tip. This makes it really easy to apply just about anywhere on the face and lately I've been using it not only on my cheekbones but also my brown bone and the inner corners of my eyes. In fact, I've been using this in place of an eyeshadow on days when I just want a quick "5 minute face" and have been loving it so much that I'm going to go back and try to find another one! For under $4, you just cannot go wrong!

Swatch of "It's Peach, Not Cherry" lipstick pencil:

"It's Peach, Not Cherry" lipstick pencil 

This is the one item I do regret picking up from this collection. The lipstick pencil seems like a great idea in theory but there is just something not right about it. The colour isn't peach to me but more of a neon coral and that would be fine except it also has a silvery-white shimmer to it which I'm not a fan of. It also has a strange scent, like a mix of vanilla and flowers that is kind of off-putting in my honest opinion. The last strike I put against this product is the formula. It's not a smooth application and after a few minutes it settles into the tiny lines in my lips and mine aren't even that dry or wrinkly! Unfortunately I was disappointed with this product and probably won't be using it much.


Overall, I was really pleased with the products I picked up and think this collection was just adorable! If I had known that highlight wand was so good I would have bought a backup and will be keeping my eyes peeled for another one.

What do you think of Essence Cosmetics? Have you picked up anything from this collection, or have you tried Essence yet? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment